Saturday, October 30, 2010

Section One Summary

Our summarizer did a great job of summarizing the key components of part one. The scary part of the reading was how things are changing with the outsourcing of jobs, in particular. But change is inevidible as shown in figure 3.2 on page 50. That picture spoke to me as it put in one picture what a thousand words could describe (the picture of the monkey to the artist). I didn't really think the monkey was necessary but maybe the author is trying to get the reader to see how we have "evolved". When I read about all the changes taking place, like machines playing chess better than humans, I'm seeing that educating our students has to change to keep up with the rest of the world. I had this feeling when I was reading that transitions are being made in so many facets in the world, yet we're still teaching a lot like we have been in the past. We are slowly coming to see that we're teaching to a whole new set of kids these days with different needs. My son just took the pre-ACT (the test that Sophomores now take to prepare) and am wondering how long they will continue to judge students by those scores to decide if they make it in to college. I enjoyed the reading and am interested to read the next part.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the comments made by the chess player were interesting. The author said in 1987 Kasparov boasted, "No computer can ever beat me." Today he says:"I give us only a few years. Then they'll win every match." pg 44. As I read that portion, I sympathized with the champion chess played humbled as emotions and pressure that are not felt by computers took a toll on his game.

    ReplyDelete