Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Closing Book Review

Book Summary: A Whole New Mind by Peggy Roberts Titze

This book was my saving grace this school year. If it were November 1, 2013 (my rule of 85 date)this year, I would have walked away from teaching. I never anticipated this feeling. I am struggling with the added paperwork that takes my valuable time away from my actual teaching. This book validated my intuitive art of teaching. It gave me the strength to focus on the joy of my art, rather than politics of my job. It validated my whole child or symphonic philosophy. It gave me hope that “this too shall pass”, and that the child may actually become the focus of education. I believe in Howard Gardner’s multiple intelligence integration, developmentally appropriate practice, gifted education modalities, differentiated curriculum, student empowerment, and facilitation of learning. To me, teaching is an intuitive art first. The science of teaching is secondary. I belong in Daniel Pink’s “Conceptual Age”. He labels six essential aptitudes for success in this Conceptual Age: Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play, and Meaning. He advocates for the development of these R-directed thinking aptitudes, integrated with the L-directed, sequential, logical, and analytical, attributes. A Whole New Mind is blending the strengths of both hemispheres for success in this new Conceptual Age. I believe he is right. His success examples support his theory. I feel his ideals have and will continue to transfer into public education practices. My symphonic teaching style will fit well with this philosophy. This is what is giving me hope!
America’s future livelihood depends on three questions: 1) Can someone overseas do it cheaper? 2) Can a computer do it better, faster, or cheaper? 3) Is what I’m offering in demand in an age of abundance? Pink feels the successful answers to these questions revolve around design, story, symphony, empathy, play, and meaning. I have a lot to offer in this realm of thinking. The experience of choosing this book has given me the strength and courage to follow my intuition.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comments. I have a coworker having many of the same feelings as you - I bet she would also appreciate the words in this book that support her philosophy. I am glad for you that this book has made a difference in your year. I hope this will provide inspiration for you for a few more years.

    ReplyDelete