Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reflection on book

Reflection post
A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink reinforced some of the ideas that I already had and also made me think anew about other ideas. I have always had an interest in how the mind works and this book helped me to rethink their importance.
Daniel Pink’s opinions on the six senses was very enlightening. The very items that we have been trained disregard, Pink brings to the forefront of importance!
Engaging the right hemisphere into more activity is much like what I had learned in Brain Gym. In the class that I took, we did many “play” activities to improve the right and left hemispheres working together. They included cross crawls and other activities in which the left and right side had to cross over. Through the activities, I was able to gain better balance and tap into both of my hemispheres.
I also attended a class called “The Unveiling”. In it, we learned the vast wealth of capabilities in our own small human minds. We learned how to “see” things with our mind’s eye and to switch back and forth between the two hemispheres.
I plan on dusting off those Brain Gym books so that my students and I may benefit from the activities to mesh the two together. I think that these activities will especially help some of my struggling students. Additionally, I plan on reviewing my Unveiling materials to also benefit my students.
I was very intrigued by many of the activities that Mr. Pink suggested for developing the six senses and I would like to incorporate a few of these at a time to see how this could improve performance for my students.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, I'm familiar with Brain Gym but have not had the opportunity to take the class. If you'd be interested in sharing Brain Gym classroom activities, I'd appreciate the gift! I've never heard of 'unveiling'. I'd like to know more about that too. I did order a 'laughter DVD' for me and one for my class. I haven't had time to use it is class yet, or watch the one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just a few things that have peaked my interest over the teaching years. I would love to share any information that I have. I have a link to brain gym on my twitter. If there is anything in particular that I can help with, let me know.

    ReplyDelete